English Estates: Astley's Smooth Billiard
Product Number: 004-002-7165
A number of different factories and makers produced pipes for the Astley's shop, many of them coming from James Upshall. I'm not certain this one was, though, as the lines show some considerable hand sanding, or sanding on a disk after being turned on the lathe. The shank is mainly round, but has a peak on the top similar to that of a triangle with a slight radius.
Measurements & Other Details
109 JERMYN ST
Condition: 4.85/5 Some rim darkening.
- Length: 5.59 in./141.99 mm.
- Weight: 1.60 oz./45.36 g.
- Bowl Height: 1.87 in./47.50 mm.
- Chamber Depth: 1.64 in./41.66 mm.
- Chamber Diameter: 0.75 in./19.05 mm.
- Outside Diameter: 1.53 in./38.86 mm.
- Stem Material: Vulcanite
- Filter: None
- Shape: Billiard
- Finish: Smooth
- Material: Briar
- Country: England