English Estates: Astley's Smooth Zulu (45)
Product Number: 004-002-7868
This is an outlier for the Zulu shape, being particularly tall and tubular, rather like a straightened-out rendition of Peterson's "bell" Calabash. that having been said, I like it. It has character. It also has a nice cross-grain right down the middle, with big, cloudy birdseye covering either flank, and a handsome finish. Astley's had a number of pipemakers make pipes for them, but the concave tip of the stem on this one suggests it was the work of James Upshall.
- Eric N. Squires
Measurements & Other Details
109 JERMYN ST
Condition: 4.85/5 Inner rim darkening.
- Length: 5.89 in./149.61 mm.
- Weight: 1.10 oz./31.18 g.
- Bowl Height: 1.94 in./49.28 mm.
- Chamber Depth: 1.78 in./45.21 mm.
- Chamber Diameter: 0.65 in./16.51 mm.
- Outside Diameter: 1.25 in./31.75 mm.
- Stem Material: Vulcanite
- Filter: None
- Shape: Zulu
- Finish: Smooth
- Material: Briar
- Country: England